Young People

Everyone has the right to feel safe in their family, in their neighbourhood, at school and at work.

Clutha campaign poster

If you are affected by violence, there are people you can talk to. Think of adults who you trust.

You may be able to talk to a relative, parents of a friend, a neighbour or sports coach.

If you are at school you could talk to a teacher, social worker or guidance counsellor.

Seek help if you are experiencing behaviour from someone that frightens, hurts, harasses, bullies or intimidates you. People who abuse young people might be partners such as girlfriends or boyfriends, or ex-partners, but can also be family members or other people you live with or people who are meant to care for you.

If someone is being hit or physically hurt at home or by their partner, that is not ok. If a person is harassing or stalking someone on-line or constantly checking in on their partner, controlling what they wear or do, or putting them down, that is not ok. Pressuring someone for sex is not ok.

If you are in a relationship but you're unhappy with how you're being treated or how you act towards your partner, check out our positive relationship quiz to see if things are ok.

You could ring 0800 456 450 and find out what organisations there are in your community for young people affected by family violence.

If you are being hurt or are worried someone might hurt you, call 0508FAMILY or contact Police on 111.

If you are concerned about violence, there are lots of people who can help or offer advice. Check out these websites:

Statistic Tile for printing: STAT TILE YOUNG PEOPLE [PDF 116 KB]