I need help

If you are in immediate danger, dial 111 and ask for the Police.

Call our information line 0800 456 450 for information about services that can help you if you are experiencing or witnessing violence, or want to change your own behaviour. It is OK to ask for help. 

  • Are you worried about relationships in your family? Every person in a family whatever their age, status or gender deserves to be treated with respect. When blaming, criticising, arguing or withdrawing affection dominate, family relationships get damaged.
  • Are you or other family members scared or frightened? Are you at risk? Sometimes it's hard to know how serious things are getting. If you are scared or frightened about being hurt, then it is already serious.
  • Are you worried about your own behaviour? If family members show fear of you, find you hard to talk to or feel they have to do what you want them to, you might need to consider changing your behaviour.
  • Are you worried about someone else and want to know how to help them? This could be a friend, neighbour, family member, child's friend, or workmate. Often people who are experiencing violence feel isolated and ashamed, your support could be vital. The I want to help section has tips on supporting someone you're worried about.
  • Are you worried about the violence that is happening in your community and want to do some thing about it? The I want change section has ideas, strategies and success stories for preventing family violence in our community.

Family violence thrives in secrecy – don't keep it a secret if you are experiencing violence, using violence or witnessing violence.

Before you decide where to go for help, here are some things you might like to find out:

  • What experience in working with family violence does the service/ person have?
  • Is the service free or will there be a cost?
  • What sort of service will they offer – will you be in a group; will it be individual, couple or family work?

Most services require you to go and talk to someone, but you can often phone first and get more information before you meet. You can phone most services and talk confidentially without giving your name or details.

The Family Services Directory lists information about social services that provide services and programmes for New Zealand families.

The 0800 Family Violence Information Line (0800 456 450) provides self-help information and connects people to services where appropriate. It is available seven days a week, from 9am to 11pm, with an after-hours message redirecting callers in the case of an emergency.

Partners, family and friends can request Police to advise if a person has a history of family violence. See more at this link:


Note though that as most family violence goes unreported, not having a police record is no guarantee that someone has not been an abusive in the past.

If you are worried about a child you can contact The Ministry of Vulernable Children, Oranga Tamariki for some ideas about what to do. You don't need to give your name.