Messages about family violence for the workplace
• Family violence is not just physical abuse. It is the abuse of power in a personal or intimate relationship. It takes many different forms including physical, psychological, sexual, financial or spiritual.
• It’s not always easy to tell who is living with abuse. Family violence perpetrators and victims come from all socioeconomic groups, all ages, and all cultures. Family violence can affect a person at home and at work.
• Psychological or emotional abuse of a family member can include threats to hurt them, undermining or bullying them, using their children against them, insults, constant criticisms and put-downs, and damaging their belongings.
Messages to Individuals
• If you support your colleagues you can make difference
• It’s OK to ask for help if you don’t know how to support a colleague who may be a victim of family violence.
• Our workplace supports the “Are you OK? campaign”
• All forms of abuse are wrong
The Three Rs: Recognise signs that an employee is experiencing family violence, Respond with support and check in about their immediate safety, Refer to internal or external support
Speak up for a child: if you are worried about the safety of a child, and don't want to give your name you can phone 0508 FAMILY to discuss your concerns and options.
Messages about FV [PDF 231 KB]