People using violence

If you are concerned about your behaviour and how it is hurting your family, help and support is available.

Your behaviour at home can affect your work and colleagues. Your workmates may notice how you talk about or treat your family.

They may or may not say something to you about it. It is up to you to decide to change.

You may also be acting at work in a way that concerns or upsets your workmates: bullying, threatening or intimidating them. This could lead to complaints and affect your job.

Police involvement due to family violence may affect your employment.

Your employer has an obligation to keep a safe workplace and will need to act on complaints or if you breach company codes of conduct or rules about criminal prosecutions. However, if you seek help you may also be able to get support to change.

Your organisation may offer a free and confidential Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) that could give you access to support to change your behaviour.

You can also contact our information line on 0800 456 450 to find out about social services in your area that could help you. You may want to send a question to one of our campaign champions Vic Tamati through our website. 

The sooner you seek help, the sooner you can change your life.

Resources and links

Using violence (section on this site)

It is OK to ask for help (English language version - other languages available)

Take a look booklet

Download the Supporting Staff Booklet [PDF 535 KB]

Family Services Directory