It's not OK Campaign Seed Fund
We want to reduce family violence in Aotearoa New Zealand
The ‘It’s not OK’ Campaign is putting a call out across our country. We want to hear from people who have exciting or ground-breaking ideas that could help reduce family violence.
Our Campaign is now strengthening its focus on preventing violence by men. There is overwhelming evidence that family violence is largely gendered in terms of victimisation, perpetration and impacts. While we know that not all men are violent, and that women can be violent too, we also know that there is a strong link between traditional ideas of masculinity and a greater likelihood of an individual man using violence against women.
The following videos can provide some insight into the importance of addressing traditional ideas of masculinity that exist in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Watch: The barbershop where men go to heal - Matt Brown
Watch: Unpacking unhealthy masculinity, teaching boys to be better men - Richie Hardcore
We’re funding creative ideas so that more of our men can be violence free
We know how important our communities are in helping to stop family violence. That is why the ‘It’s not OK’ Campaign now has a seed fund that will be providing one-off financial grants for up to $20,000 for people who have some creative ideas or new ways of addressing gendered violence in their communities.
What can you apply for?
We are funding a wide range of dynamic or innovative initiatives to help reduce men’s violence against women. These could include ideas that:
- encourage positive behaviour change in men
- improve the relationships men have with themselves, their partners, their children, their siblings and their mates
- shift harmful ideas around what it means to be a man
- reduce the social tolerance and acceptance of violence.
We do we need from you?
You don’t have to be an expert or someone with past experience. However, you do need to be able to:
- describe your idea, including what change you are trying to make and why
- tell us who you are trying to reach with your idea
- talk about what you hope will happen as a result of your idea.
We would also ask that you:
- agree to work in partnership with the ‘It’s not OK’ Campaign
- be willing to share any important things that you learn with the Campaign team
- show us that you know the community (or communities) where you’ll be working
- have thought about how the funding grant is going to be spent.
We can only give grants to legal entities, such as registered charitable trusts or incorporated societies. If you are not a legal entity, you will need to find one that can receive and manage the grant, or if you aren’t able to, we will try to find one for you. This will be the fundholder and will be legally responsible for accounting for the grant.
The ‘It’s not OK’ Campaign seed fund is not designed for:
- delivering social services
- printed resources, merchandise or sponsorship
- capital items, such as computers, vehicles or equipment
- political advocacy (for example, lobbying the government)
- activities that are school-based, are curriculum focused, or are aimed at encouraging behaviour change in children and young people
- activities that have already occurred and require reimbursement
- activities that take place outside of Aotearoa New Zealand.
How much money can we give you?
We can give one-off grants of up to $20,000 (excluding GST).
What is the closing date?
At this stage, there is no closing date for the seed fund. We are willing to consider applications and provide funding grants on an ongoing basis. The most important thing is that applications offer new or creative ways of reducing family violence and reflect the It’s not OK Campaign’s increased focus on preventing violence by men.
How to apply:
All you need to do is to email your contact details and your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org with Seed Fund in the Subject line. The ‘It’s not OK’ Campaign team will then get in touch with you to discuss your idea in greater detail. While this should provide us with enough information to decide whether we will be able to fund your idea, we may need to talk to you again if we need to know anything else.
Download the Applying for an 'It's not OK' Campaign seed fund grant Its not OK Campaign Seed Fund [PDF 90 KB] [PDF 90 KB]